Home Alternative Technology

Alternative Technology and Renewable Energy can be great fun and very rewarding, especially if done at home. On this blog I share my ideas and tips for mainly simple and inexpensive alternative technology projects.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Pure Green Ecotricity Energy in Suffolk


After buying my electric G-Wiz car, my thoughts turned to where the electricity I use to charge it, actually comes from? If I really wanted to see a significant reduction in emissions as a result of driving an electric car, then I had to make sure the electricity it used came from totally renewable sources.

I did quite a bit of research and found that many so called "green" tariffs only involved a small percentage of renewable energy. None of the big electricity suppliers had a truly green product to offer. The choice eventually came down to two independent suppliers: Good Energy and Ecotricity.

Good Energy have a 100% renewable product, but do not invest very much in creating new renewable generation capacity. It is also pretty expensive. Ecotricity have two products. One has a very high proportion of green energy and is designed to compete with the prices offered by the larger suppliers. Their other product, New Energy Plus, offers 100% green energy but is rather more expensive than the larger suppliers. The factor that swung it for me was that Ecotricity spend more, per customer, on building new renewable generating capacity than all the other suppliers put together! My picture shows the Ecotricity wind turbine at Swaffham in Norfolk.

So by paying a bit more for my electricity, I am assured of a supply from totally renewable sources and I am helping to fund new green generation projects. If more people signed up for Ecotricity, it would help to expand the network of wind, solar, tidal, hydro and wave power installations in the UK. I do realise that not everyone can afford to pay more for their electricity, but if only half of those who could afford it signed up, it would over time, have a significant lowering effect on harmful emissions in this country.

Compare energy providers for yourself and decide whether you can afford to switch to Ecotricity.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home