Home Alternative Technology

Alternative Technology and Renewable Energy can be great fun and very rewarding, especially if done at home. On this blog I share my ideas and tips for mainly simple and inexpensive alternative technology projects.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Reva G-Wiz Electric Car in Suffolk


I decided to buy a G-Wiz electric car in order to better understand the technology and investigate the feasibility of small electric vehicles in a country environment. I have long wanted an EV and bought a Toyota Prius hybrid car about four years ago. This time I have gone the whole hog with this purely electric powered vehicle.



The G-Wiz is a very common site in London, where its green credentials really take advantage. You pay no congestion charge, parking is often free, no road tax, cheap insurance, no pollution and incredibly economical running costs. Added to this, the car is unbelievably manoeuvrable and great fun to drive.



The car is not suitable for high speeds or long journeys, but for short trips into town or visiting local villages you don't need all the luxuries of a normal modern car. The Reva G-Wiz was designed in California and is built in Bangalore, India. Top speed is around 45 mph and the maximum range is 48 miles. The car can seat 2 adults and 2 children with only basic creature comforts.

The video shows the car being unloaded at my home, from the low-loader which brought it from the previous owner in Sussex. I will report on my driving experiences in later blogs.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how does it compare to the Prius?

 
At 8:33 am, Blogger Nigel said...

There is no comparison with the Prius really. It is a completely different type of car, intended for a different purpose. I am very pleased with it and will be selling the Prius as I hardly use it these days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home