Home Alternative Technology

Alternative Technology and Renewable Energy can be great fun and very rewarding, especially if done at home. On this blog I share my ideas and tips for mainly simple and inexpensive alternative technology projects.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Rainwater Recycling


I have returned to my rainwater recycling project. This is a way of using otherwise wasted water for garden use and toilet flushing. I did try using our well water for this, but it provoked domestic disharmony because the reddish-brown colour of the well water, even after filtering, did not match the new white bathroom suite!

I am now collecting rainwater from the garage roof and storing it in a 1000 litre plastic tank I got from eBay for £30. The water passes through a simple leaf filter called a Drainsmart which seems quite effective. The water is pumped to a tank in the loft by a 12 volt 30 psi pump which is powered from my solar charged battery bank.

I haven't yet finalised the control system to regulate the water levels and turn the pump on and off. The 1000 litre tank will also be cladded with stained weatherboard so that it looks like a little shed. I will get around to all this over Easter, I hope.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 pm, Blogger Nigel said...

Since doing the woodwork I have installed an overflow of 43mm piping into a storm drain nearby. Pictures soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home